The town of Cres is situated in the northeastern part of a large and well shielded bay which abounds in spacious and attractive bathing areas. The human activity, dating back to the Antique period, has left a whole range of monuments which help us to imagine how difficult life must have been on this island. The panorama of present day Cres is marked with the medieval harbour "mandrac", Gothic and Renessaince churches and monasteries, noble families' palaces and the remains of town walls. Until the end of the period of Venetian domination Cres remained confined within the town walls, two monasteries being the only buildings located outside the walls. It was a development of seafaring and shipbuilding in the middle of the 19th century that brought about great changes. The town started spreading to the south and west. At the turn of the 20th century Cres provided catering services for its guests in two hotels "Miramare" and "Excelsior". A more intense development of tourist industry started in the 60s and 70s of the previous century. The most important cultural and historical monuments in Cres are: Three town gates (Bragadina, Marcela and the gate of St Mikulo from the 16th century), round, corner tower in the northwestern part of the town
,the church of St Isidor from the 12th century,Municipal Loggia with a pillory ,a Franciscan monastery ( approximately 1300 )with the Church of St Francis (from the 14th century) and a tower bell from the 18th century,a benedictine monastery from the 15th century.
The little town of Cres, is located on the north east part of a wide and very sheltered bay which abounds in wide and lovely bathing places. Human activity has from classical times left a whole series of monuments through which we can imagine in our mind’s eye the laborious life of man in this area.
Today’s space is marked by the medieval port called a “mandrač”, by Gothic and Renaissance churches and monasteries, palaces of noble families and the remains of the city fortifications. Right up to the end of the Venetian period Cres existed entirely within the city walls, and outside the urban space there were only two monasteries. Great changes took place with the development of shipping and ship-building, which were at the zenith in the mid-19th century. The town spread along the coast towards the south and west. At the turn of the century, Cres started taking in visitors in its two hotels.
As well as beds available in private accommodation, Cres has today an excellently equipped marina with more than 400 moorings.
Already populated in the Neolithic period, the town becomes known as "Res Publica Crepsa" under Roman rule. The most significant remains of the era can be seen in and around the Liburnian - built structures an the nearby Hill of St. Bartholomew. Everyone will most likely be impressed by the "gromačas" terraces of short stone walls built without using mortar, with which the Cres inhabitant was able to preserve, through years of patient and exhausting work, at least that little land that mother nature had given him. The cultural monuments in the historic center of town testify as to the achievements of a well - developed culture: the "loggia", the clock towers, and the city doors, are all certainly worth mentioning. Continuing through the Parochial Church of St. Mary of the Snow, built in the Gothic - Renaissance style, which holds the valuable wooden Pieta from the XVI. century, and the altar painting of St. Sebastian, by the noted Antonio Vivarini. Especially interesting is the simple functionality of the residential quarter, where you will find the XII. Century Church of St. Isidore, named after the bishop who was considered the town's protector, which has among its possessions the statue of a saint in Late - Gothic style, and many other wooden statues. Of the many noble houses, the one that stands out by its beauty is the house of the Petris family, a jewel of Gothic - Venetian architecture and the birth - place of the philosopher Franciscus Patritius (1521 - 1567), today housing a museum. On reflection, we can say that the whole town is a sort of a big museum in which not only the old town walls and doors, but also the town's churches provoke admiration. Also deserving mention is the Church of St. Francis with its monastery and two arches. The museum within the church has various paintings, sculptures, an ethnographic collection, a number of incunabulums, and a rare Senj Prayer - Book from 1493. written in the Glagolic Alphabet. From behind the church, the garden extends all the way to the Roman built "Villa Rustica".